Tucumán is the most densely populated, and the smallest by land area, of the provinces of Argentina. Located in the northwest of the country, the province has the capital of San Miguel de Tucumán, often shortened to Tucumán. Neighboring provinces are, clockwise from the north: Salta, Santiago del Estero and Catamarca. It is nicknamed El Jardín de la República (The Garden of the Republic), as it is a highly productive agricultural area.
Despite Tucumán's small size, it has two main different geographical systems. The east is associated with the Gran Chaco flat lands, while the west presents a mixture of the Sierras of the Pampas to the south and the canyons of the Argentine Northwest to the north. The Cerro del Bolsón is the highest peak at an elevation of 5,550 metres (18,209 ft).
The Salí is the province’s main river. Tucumán also has four dams that are used for hydroelectricity and irrigation: El Cadillal on Salí River, the province’s most important dam; Embalse Río Hondo on the Hondo River; La Angostura on de los Sosa River; and Escaba on the Marapa River. The Santa María River crosses the Valles Calchaquíes.
Basic Information: Our patients and our doctors speak spanish. We advise you to have at least some knowledge of Spanish or English to communicate with patients and doctors.
We attend our clerkship in many different university hospitals :
Hospital Angel C. Padilla
Hospital del Niño Jesus
- Antimicrobial multi-resistant bacterial pathogens. Detection and characterization of high risk clones associated with the dissemination and persistence.
- Disorders related to the intake of gluten. Biochemical and Molecular Markers
- Effect of Vitamin D and antioxidants in vascular function.
- Study of adjuvant treatments to conventional treatment (debridement) of chronic wounds. Bacteriotherapy
- Study of Chronic Pulmonary Diseases in Pediatric Patients: bronchiolitis obliterans and cystic fibrosis
- Study of the process of tissue repair in chronic diabetic foot ulcers. Application of an alternative treatment : bacteriotherapy
- Tumoral microenvironment: Immunohistochemistry M1 and M2 macrophage and its relationship with prognostic and predictive factors.
If you are placed in a host family, meals will be provided by the family.
Otherwise, we will provide you with some pocket money to cover the expenses of at least one main meal per working day.
The city is served by several bus lines that have routes within the city limits, and some others that connect it to the neighbouring cities of Yerba Buena, El Manantial, Tafí Viejo, Las Talitas, Banda del Río Salí, and Alderetes. San Miguel de Tucumán enjoys one of the largest bus stations in Argentina. The 30,000 m² estación central de ómnibus opened in 1994) is the point from where hundreds of bus services arrive from and depart to almost all of the largest and mid-size cities throughout the country.
The Teniente General Benjamín Matienzo International Airport (TUC/SANT) is the city's airport (though located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) east of the city, in the neighboring department of Cruz Alta) serving over 290,000 passengers a year. There are daily flights to Buenos Aires, Jujuy, Santiago del Estero, Campo Arenal, the Minera Alumbrera Gold Mine, as well as international flghts to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. The Mauricio Gilli Aerodrome is a Private Airport, located 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) west from the city, for Private Aviation. It is locally known as Aeroclub.
There are two weekly passenger trains to the Retiro station in Buenos Aires, departing from the Ferrocarril Bartolomé Mitre station located near downtown (in Plaza Alberdi).
Casa de Tucumán: (meaning "House of Tucumán" in Spanish, officially Casa Histórica de la Independencia) is a historic building and museum located in San Miguel de Tucumán, Argentina, built during the colonial times. The Congress of Tucumán worked in this house during the Argentine War of Independence, and issued the Argentine Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1816. It was nationalized decades later, and partially demolished for its poor condition. It was declared a National Historic Monument of Argentina in 1941, and reconstructed, with simplified details, (illustration below) in its original layout.
Plaza Independencia: Located in the city center covering approximately one hectare was originally framed in 1685. Originally played the role of Plaza de Armas until, in 1857, was transformed into a public promenade and is today the busiest Tucuman capital. Fairly densely forested interior vegetation consists lapachos, laurels, palms and orange trees.
Parque 9 de Julio: Economic growth in the Argentine Northwest city of Tucumán, as in cities nationwide, created the need for unprecedented urban improvements during the late nineteenth century. The first public official to rally to this need was the Minister of Education of the Province of Tucumán, Alberto León Soldati, who in 1898 proposed the creation of an extensive green space such as those under development in Buenos Aires, Rosario and Córdoba, the nation's three largest cities. Tucumán's need for a modern recreational park was especially prescient, as the city was then still limited by a colonial grid of narrow streets and its relative isolation.
San Javier: The Cerro San Javier is located in the province of Tucuman, at a distance of about 25 km from the capital, San Miguel de Tucumán, using Provincial Route 340. The road to the hill has over 100 curves and at all times be appreciated the typical subtropical vegetation.It sports activities like paragliding, trekking, mountain biking, hiking, etc are practiced, being an ideal environment such activities.
El Cadillal: It is a tourist village located on Celestino Gelsi Dam, which allows swimming on its beaches and water sports, and a landscape surrounded by forests and various waterways. The villa is in port, on the hillside Medici and is recent and rapid construction.
Tafi del Valle: It is located in the department of the same name, of which it is the main settlement, in the west of the Argentine province of Tucumán, 126 km from the provincial capital,San Miguel de Tucumán.The town of Tafí del Valle is located almost in the centre of the Tafí valley, which separates the high cordilleras of the Sierra del Aconquija to the south, and the Cumbres Calchaquíes to the north. This valley forms an important pass linking the Calchaquí Valleys to the west with the great Chaco-Pampean plains to the east.