Pekanbaru, nickname: Kota Bertuah (Indonesian): "The City of Good Fortune" is the capital city of Riau, a province in Indonesia on the island of Sumatra. It has an area of 632.26 km² with a population of 950,571. Located on the Siak River, which drains to the Strait of Malacca. Pekanbaru has direct access to the busy strait and was long known as a trading port (the city name is derived from the Indonesian words of 'new market' or 'new town', "pekan" meaning 'market' or 'town', and "baru" meaning 'new'). The city is developing rapidly, but still has much unique architecture with a taste of Malay culture. Pekanbaru city inhabited by a number of ethnic groups, including Malays, Minangkabau and also Chinese population.
In 2001, Faculty of medicine Riau University named doctor educational program. By the letter of recommendations from DIKTI (General Diractorate of Universities) on November 8th 2004 the status of doctor educational program changed into Faculty of Medicine Riau University. And since 2013, our faculty is lead by the dean named Dr. dr. Dedi Afandi, DFM, Sp.F.
The incoming will lunch in the canteen of RSUD Arifin Achmad Pekanbaru.
The incoming will stay in host family or student hostel which located near the hospital.
Trans Metro Pekanbaru
The Great Mosque of An-Nur
As the largest mosque in Pekanbaru and located at the center of Pekanbaru City, this mosque is so popular, and used for sport activities like jogging, playing badminon and others as it has large field.
Soeman H.S Library
Soeman H.S library is one of the largest library in Indonesia. All the facilities at this library will make you feel so comfortable.
You can buy everything include all special souvenirs in Pekanbaru. This place has become a tourist spot for all tourists from around the world.
- Bolu Kemojo: This under-baked green soft cake is unique by its middle layer, just like uncooked cake but it’s actually delicious.
- Asam Pedas Baung and Patin: Its spicy-sour taste will make a different sensation on your tongue and make you really addicted with this special food.
- Lempuk Durian: Lempuk Durian is one type of typical food of Riau made of Durian, lempuk is shaped like a lunkhead (dodol). Besides in Riau, lempuk can also be found in other areas of Sumatra. This "Riau Typical food" comes from Bengkalis region ,and it has been an icon of Bengkalis.
- Kue Bangkit: This cake is called Asidah, soft texture and sweet blend of spices such as cloves, cinnamon and pandan leaves. This cake is commonly eaten with fried onions.
- Laksamana Mengamuk and Air Mata Pengantin: Laksamana mengamuk ice is cold drink with kuini (like mango) fruit as the main ingredient. It’s said, the existence of this drink originated from raging admiral in kuini farm. Admiral was raging because his wife was taken away by the owners of kuini farm. The admiral slashed in all directions with his sword, up to tens of fruit kuini destroyed by this anger. After completing the anger, the admiral went home, and people around the kuini farm took dozens of pieces of kuini fruit that have been slashed and laid in the grass. At first, people are confused, what to do with this fruit. Until one woman , mixed pieces of fruit with coconut milk and brown sugar. It became fresh drinks, which at the time, directly enjoyed by the whole village. While Tear bride ice (air mata pengantin) contains a variety of colorful agar, nata de coco basil seeds, and ice. It’s also served in Malay wedding party and other special agenda in Riau province.