Is the capital and largest city of the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso do Sul in the Center-West region of the country. The city is nicknamed Cidade Morena ("Swarthy City" in Portuguese) because of the reddish-brown colour of the region's soil. It has a population of 796,252, according to a 2011 IBGE estimate,while its metropolitan area is home to 991,420 people (2010).
The region where the city is located was in the past a waypoint for travellers who wanted to go from São Paulo or Minas Gerais to northern Mato Grosso by land. In the early 1900s a railway was completed connecting Campo Grande to Corumbá, on theBolivian border, and to Bauru, São Paulo. Also in the beginning of the 20th century, the Western Brazilian Army Headquarters was established in Campo Grande, making it an important military center.
With a population growth from 140,000 people in 1970 to 750,000 people in 2008, Campo Grande is the third largest urban centerof the Center-West region, and the 23rd largest city in the country. In 1977, the State of Mato Grosso was split into two, and Campo Grande became the capital of the new state of Mato Grosso do Sul, comprising the southern portion of the former state. By that time, Campo Grande had long surpassed the latter's capital city of Cuiabá in population, which is unusual in Brazil, where most capitals are also the states' largest cities.
Today, the city has its own culture, which is a mixture of several ethnic groups, most notably immigrants from the Japaneseprefecture of Okinawa, Middle Easterners, Armenians, Portuguese people, Germans, Italians, Spaniards, andParaguayans, finally mixed with Asian and White Brazilians from the Brazilian Southern and Southeast regions, its native Amerindian peoples and Afro-Brazilians.
Medical School of Anhanguera-Uniderp University was built in line with current educational needs, both use the Learning Method Based on Problems / Tutorials, centered on the student as an active subject in the process.
The curriculum is modular and integrative providing early introduction of students in the community and in the current health system, determining the development of practical activities in increasing level of complexity from the first year of the course.
The supervised internship takes place in semesters 9, 10, 11 and 12, organized in health care levels, emphasizing learning in service in the reality of professional practice.
The course has modern infrastructure, advanced equipment and materials for practical training, and library with large collection and access to internet database.
The pedagogical project of the course, perfectly identified with the National Curriculum Guidelines for Medicine courses established as profile egress the competent medical training to act at different levels of health care, in view of the completeness of ethics and humanistic way.
The host student or family will provide at least one meal per day / the hospital will provide it.
Our local meal consists in bread and coffee with wilk in the morning, and lunch and dinner with rice, red beans, some kind of meat (beef, eggs, chicken, pork or fish), vegetables and salad. Also, there are lots of italian, german, french and japanese culinary references.
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
Campo Grande has an airport served by TAM, Gol, Azul, Trip and Oceanair. The airport is located about 7 km from the downtown area. Tourists can get a bus or taxi on their way to the city. There's no shuttle bus service, so if you want to catch a bus from the airport into town, there's a bus stop about 50 meters to the right of the main avenue right in front of the airport (as you go FROM the airport TO the avenue).
Interstate buses depart to numerous destinations, including Corumbá (5-6 hours, on the border with Bolivia), Bonito, Iguaçu Falls, São Paulo (13 to 15 hours) and Rio de Janeiro (20 hours). A new bus terminal started operating in February 2010, and is located about 6 km from downtown Campo Grande. Tourists arriving at the bus terminal can reach the city by bus (local bus lines going downtown depart from the bus stop in front of the new terminal) or by taxi.
Campo Grande's downtown area is small enough for you to cover it on foot.
The tourist office bus or City Tour Tour Bus on the corner of Av. Alfonso Pena and Av. Noroeste can be very helpful and the staff speaks English.
- Inferninho - This park, located outside of the urban perimeter, has some waterfalls.
- Ayrton Senna Park - Tu-Su, 8AM to 7PM.
- Parque Ecológico do Sóter - It is the newest park in the city. Projected as a model park, it is comprised of 22 hectares of green areas, multi-sports squares, skate park, cycling trails and a churrasco kiosk.
- Park Estadual do Prosa - Area of 135 hectares with motorbike trails.
- Park Florestal Antonio de Albuquerque/Horto-Florestal - A green area of 4.5 hectares with some species of native trees. A prominent landmark of the city, it also possesses a library, snack bar, playground, skate park, and cycling trails. Is located in a walking distance from the city center.
- Itanhangá Park – Kiosks and a children's park. 6:30AM - 9:30PM.
- Jacques da Luz Park
- Parque das Nações Indígenas (at Afonso Pena av.) – One of the biggest urban parks of the world, with an extension of 119 hectares. It offers good infrastructure for leisure and sports.
- Parque dos Poderes – The name does not refer to a park, but to a neighborhood of the city where most of the local government buildings are located, among areas of preserved native vegetation. Although urbanized, it's possible to see some species of wild animals walking freely on the streets and paths at the area.
- Ary Coelho Plaza, Afonso Pena av. – Its huge fountain was once a stage for grand political events. It is the most traditional square of the city.
- Praça Cuiabá
- Praça of Araras (Av. João Rosa Pires with Dom Aquino)
- Belmar Fidalgo Sporting Complex
- Praça dos Imigrantes
- Praça Oshiro Takamari - where the Aboriginal Fair functions
- Praça da República, Av. Afonso Pena. Containing a monument to Japanese immigration.
- Praça Vilas-Boas - Known for its fish-like shape.
- Arnaldo Estevão de Figueiredo Memorial House, Av. Calógeras, 2163. Constructed in 1921, it keeps alive the history of Mato Grosso do Sul.
- Museum of Search and Rescue Aviation (Museo de Aviação de Busca e Salvamento)
- Museum of Image and Sound (MIS)
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MARCO, R. Barão do Rio Branco, 2155). In addition to local plastic artists, this museum presents samples of artists of other states.
- Museum of Natural History
- José Antônio Pereira Museum, Av. Guaicurus. Donated by the founder of the city to one of its children. Today it recounts the history of the state capital.
- Lídia Baís Museum
- Dom Bosco Regional Museum, R. Barão do Rio Branco, 1611. Learn about the Bororó, Carajá and Xavante tribes.
- Estação Ferroviária do Noroeste (old Railroad the Northwest of Brazil - N.O.B.) - was construido by a comitiva (that it arrived in 1907), commanded for the engineer Emilio Schenoor, who signed contract with the federal government. patrimõnio protected for law.
- Monument of the Aviator - the airplane was used in 2ª world-wide war and homages the Tenete Aviator Keys Son
- Monument of Japanese Immigration - the Japanese colony of the state homages, that arrived at the beginning of century XX.
- Monument of the Immigrants (Landmark of the Foundation of the city) - it homages the first families of migrantes that had come of Minas Gerais and is represented by an ox car.
- Dwelling of the Baís (Av. the Northwest, 5140) - tumbled as historic site, is a permanent space for musical expositions of art and spectacles. Constructed in 1918 and revitalized in 1993, today he is palco of cultural samples and tourist information
- Obelisco - inaugurated in 1933 and tumbled as patrimony in 1975. Considered a reference of the city
- Palace of the Communications - known as Educative TV, the palace consumed about 8 million dollar in its construction. Considered the higher masonry tower of the world with 100m and the direction of the TVE functions there.
- Clock of the 14 (Av. Calógeras with Alfonso Pena) - He was one of the first monuments that the city received, was demolido and after some decades, was rescued given its historical value. Inaugurated in 2000, she is one talks back of the original, that was demolido on behalf of the progress. * Village of the Railroad workers - constructed for the installation of the employees and its familiar ones.
- Igreja Matriz de Santo Antônio/Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Abadia - constructed in homage to the patron of the city in 1880, it was the first church to be constructed in Campo Grande.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Perpétuo Socorro
- Parish of San Francisco de Assis, R. 14 of July. Situated at the side of the railroad station. Considered one of the biggest historical constructions of Campo Grande, it is a landmark in the oldest part of the city.
- Parish of São Jose, R. Dom Peter Celestino, corner with are. Dom Aquino. Constructed in 1938, it is among the most frequent churches in the city.
WELCOME to Campo Grande! :)