Katowice is one of many cities in Upper Silesia Region. Region is well known for its special traditions and industrial heritage. You will even be able to go to the Guido Maine in Zabrze for a trip! Except mines, the region has beautiful parks and nature. There are also museums and palaces - the visit in one of the palaces is included in our social program!
Katowice has lots of spots where you can have fun, relax or just grab a beer. Mariacka Street is a place of many clubs and pubs full of young people.
There are also two big shopping centres in the city - Silesia City Centre and Galeria Katowicka.
Medical University of Silesia:
- over 70 years of academic tradition
- over 10.000 students enrolled
- affiliated with 5 clinical hospitals
- the following hospitals provide clerkship opportunities for incoming students: John Paul II Upper Silesian Child Health Centre in Katowice, Clinical Hospital of the University of Silesia in Katowice, Leszek Giec Upper Silesian Medical Centre in Katowice.
- double or triple room in the dormitory (to be shared with another student)
- the bed sheets are provided by the dormitory, however you need to take your own towels
- for every two rooms there is one adjoining bathroom
- toilets are available on every floor
- there is one kitchen per floor, the kitchenware is provided by the Local Committee
- the laundry is available for students
- there is no WiFi in the dormitory, only cable internet is available. It is possible to purchase a Polish SIM card with data package.
Getting to Katowice
1)From Warsaw:If you are arrive to one of Warsaw Airports (Chopin or Modlin), you should use public means of transport that will take you to the Central Railway Station in Warsaw (Dworzec Centralny). When you get to the Central Railway Station, buy a train ticket to Katowice. Unfortunately, you will have to pay full fare, since there is no discount applicable for foreign students. Here you can check timetable of the Polish trains.
2) From Katowice Pyrzowice Airport:
Take a bus "Lotnisko" which has a stop in front of the terminal - it is going to take you to Katowice Train Station (Katowice Dworzec/ Katowice Dworzec PKP). The ticket costs 27zl. For bus "Lotnisko", check the company’s schedule on their website prior to arrival.
Getting around Katowice:
Katowice has a very good network of connections. There are buses and trams all over Upper Silesia Region. Trams are usually quicker, but unfortunatelly they don't go everywhere (e.g. there are only buses in Ligota district where you are accommodated). You can buy a monthly ticket just for Katowice (normal price: 122zl, discounted price for EU students: 61zl).
The city of Katowice is a cradle of Polish industry. It is characterized with interesting 19th century architecture. The most popular attraction in Katowice might be the sports hall, “Spodek” and Silesian Museum. In Silesia Region, you will be able to visit unique on the world scale historic mines (Luiza, Guido, Silver Mine), museums and local breweries where you can taste great Polish beer, such as “as “Zywiec” and “Tyskie”. There are many historic buildings and places connected with the history of Europe, including the Museum of Auschwitz-Birkenau.