As Sardinia's second most important city after Cagliari, it has a considerable amount of cultural, touristic, commercial and political importance in the island.
In Sassari there are 5 main medical structures:
- the Civilian Hospital
- the University Clinics
- the General Hospital
- the Conti Hospital
- San Camillo Medical Center
Our incomings are accomodated in the University Clinics, this structure assures a 360 degree medical service and is well known for the preparation and kindness of his workers. This year the acceptance time lapse is June and July.
Sassari is situated in the north-west of Sardinia.You can reach our island by plane or ship.
- By plane - If you'll decide to take plane we suggest you to choose the airport of ALGHERO-FERTILIA that is the nearest and well linked to Sassari. Infact outside the airport there is a bus stop of ARST COMPANY. The ticket's price is around 4 euro; you can buy it on the bus (but the price is higher) and in a machine inside the airport: you must have coins because the machine doesn't accept paper.
TIMETABLE AEROPORTO FERTILIA - SASSARI
00:15 09:30 11:10 13:40 15:40 17:30 19:35 21:10 23:15 (departure)
00:57 10:00 11:40 14:10 16:10 18:00 20.05 21:52 23:57 (arrival)
- By ship - You'll arrive to Porto Torres or Olbia. We suggest the first because is the nearest and well linked to Sassari. If you arrive in Olbia, you have to take a train to come to Sassari Station (about 2 hours trip).
Once you are in Sassari it's easy to go around on foot, but if you want to reach places far from the centre of the city, you can get by bus, taxi, train :
- Bus - The local bus company (ATP) provides a service which covers the city and the surrounding area. It is possible to buy single, round-trip and season tickets. These are on sale at tobacconist's, newsagent's and bus stations.
- An intercity coach company connects Sassari to other Sardinian cities, such as Cagliari, Oristano and Nuoro.(ARST 079 2639200/206 and FdS 079 241301 - 250529)
In the city there are several places of both historical and artistic interest.
Going around Sassari is quite easy. The main things are located in the old part of the city. Moving from the train station we find "Porta Sant'Antonio" a small square that used to be the entrance to the city until 1800 when the walls of the city were knock down. Proceed on we find "Il Corso", the old main road nowadays is a animated shopping street. Following a side street we arrive in Piazza Santa Caterina were we can admire the pretty church built during the XVI century. Not far from the Santa Caterina's church, located in the deep heart of the old city find "Palazzo Ducale" an old building now Townhall of Sassari.
From this point turning left we arrive at Piazza Duomo were the beautiful "Cattedrale di San Nicola" (known as Duomo).
Going back at il Corso we can move on to Piazza Azuni and from here we arrive first at Piazza Castello, then in Piazza d'Italia and proceeding farther on we arrive in via Roma where the night life of Sassari mainly take place.
Other MUST SEE of the city are: the "Fontana Rosello" beautiful fountain located beneath the homonymous bridge; the Parco di Monserrato.
- MUSEO DIOCESANO
The museum is divided in four sections: vestments, golds and silvers, a picture gallery, an archaeological collection.
Open: Tue, Fri, Sat h.10-12 and 16.18 Tickets
City: Sassari Address: Duomo di S. Nicola, p.zza Duomo Telephone: +39 333 5698247
- MUSEO ETONOGRAFICO F. BANDE
(Ethnographic Museum F. Bande)-
Museum dedicated to Francesco Bande, accordion and organ player who died some years ago. In the museum you can find the most typical Sardinian costumes mostly from Bultei and Ossi.
Open: from Mon to Fri h.10-12 and 18-20 Admission Free
City: Sassari Address: Via Muroni 44 Telephone: +39 079 236572
- MUSEO NAZIONALE ARCHEOLOGICO ED ETNOGRAFICO G. A. SANNA
(National Archaeological and Ethnography Museum G. A. Sanna)-
This Museum is divided in 7 rooms and during the tour it offers the opportunity to retrace the history of Sardinia.
Open: From Tue to Sun h. 9-20 Full Ticket 2€ Reduced 1€
Address Via Roma 64 - 07100 Sassari, Italia Telephone 079-27.22.03 ; 27.25.05 Fax 079-27.15.24