Chieti is a city and comune in Central Italy, 200 kilometres (124 miles) northeast of Rome. It is the capital of the province of Chieti in the Abruzzo region. Chieti lies on a crest along the Pescara River a few kilometres away from the Adriatic Sea, and with the Maiella and Gran Sasso mountains in the background. The city is composed by two nucleus: Chieti “Alta” (high) and Chieti “Scalo” (low). Chieti Alta is more ancient and is situated on the hill. Chieti Scalo is the new part and it is inhabited by the students that frequent the University.Chieti climate is Mediterranean. It presents high humidity all year round, with rainy/snowy and quite cold winters and hot and dry summers. Usually, in October, there are more or less 20° during the day. We suggest you to bring at least a jacket.
The Univesity “G. D’Annunzio” was founded in 1965 as Free University and it became a state university in 1982. The University is constituted by 2 University Campus, one in Pescara and one in Chieti, as well as the Telematic University Leonardo da Vinci.
The University Campus of Chieti, is an "American style" Campus, located on a green field and full of facilities and services used by both the academic community and the town inhabitants.
G. d’Annunzio University aims to a highly qualified and diversified didactic offer that also contemplates telematic degree courses, including opportunities to use leasure time on recreational activities such as sports and cultural activities.
G. D’Annunzio University has always offered to the students all necessary activities that allow them to enrich their own knowledge, confronting themselves with current topical subjects and to cultivate new interests, in the conviction that the excellence necessarily has to base itself both on the academic profile and on the profile which is cultural, ethical and has personal values.
Through the research, both basic and applied, which has its strength in medical field of the two Centres of Excellence: Ce.S.I. (Sciences of the Aging Centre) and I.T.A.B.
(Institute of Advanced Biomedical Technologies). D’Annunzio University offers its contribution to the progress of learning and knowledge.
For postgraduate experience the d’Annunzio University has established the “Superior School”, with the intent to open up to modernity as an act of faith in the progress and in its close relation with the advancement of knowledge, always in a dialogue with the external world, in continuous evolution.
"G. d’Annunzio" University in 1986, has instituted the Academic Honour called "Order of Mìnerva."
The recognition is conferred to national and international personalities that have meaningfully contributed to the progress of Science, Culture and Economy.
The incomings can frequent two hospital: the first one, “SS. Annunziata”, in Chieti Scalo and the second one, “Ospedale Civile”, in Pescara. The available departments are not located in the same Hospital. The students, frequenting in Pescara, have to move by bus each day (about 30 minutes) from the Dormitory that is located in Chieti Scalo.
- Analysis of the functional alterations induced by microgravity in human satellite cells (SCs).
- Characterization of molecules involved in Doxorubicin-induced oxidative stress in cardiomyocytes and ovarian granulosa cells.
- Effect of plasma from obese and insulin resistant (IR) children on endothelial nitric oxide (NO) bioavailability and endothelial Reticulum (ER)-stress.
- Electrostimulation, muscle disuse and oxidative stress as determinants of age dependent changes in regenerative properties of muscle satellite cells.
- Spectral karyotype (SKY) in acute myeloid leukemia.
- The role and the fate of the extracellular DNA (eDNA) associated with the Outer Membrane Vesicles (OMVs) produced by Helicobacter pylori.
About how to arrive in Chieti:
1. Pescara Airport http://www.abruzzoairport.com/default.aspx?lang=en
2. from Fiumicino (Rome Airport): you could take the train from ROMA FIUMICINO to ROMA TIBURTINA, and then reach Chieti by bus, or take the bus to Chieti directly from the airport:
· train site: http://www.trenitalia.com/
· bus site: http://www.prontobusitalia.it/index.php?lang=it (from Roma Tiburtina Station);
· bus site: https://www.tuabruzzo.it/index.php?id=72 (from the Airport to Chieti)
About local transports:
http://www.gruppolapanoramica.it/la-panoramica/index.php/percorsi-e-orari (inside Chieti)
National Archaeological Museum of the Abruzzi "Villa Frigerii" - The rooms of the museum are dedicated to: Burial cults in pre-Roman Abruzzo / Italic sculpture / The Capestrano Warrior / The Pansa collection / The Sanctuary of Hercules Curinus at Sulmona / The Numismatic collection / Roman Iconography in Abruzzo.Art Museum "Costantino Barbella"Biomedical Science Museum (Paleopathology and Bioarchaeology)Archaeological Museum "La Civitella"Diocesan Theatine MuseumArt Museum "Palazzo de Mayo"
The Gothic Cathedral, re-built by bishop Attone I in 1069. Of that building only parts of the Romanesque crypt remain. The church was remade in the 14th century when also the bell tower was enlarged. After several earthquakes, the church was rebuilt again in the late 17th-18th centuries in Baroque style.Oratory of Sacro Monte dei MortiChurch of San Francesco al Corso, founded in 1239. The façade shows an incomplete Baroque restoration.Church of Santa Chiara.Under the church of SS. Pietro e Paolo and the adjoining houses are extensive substructures (in opus reticulatum and brickwork) of the 1st century CE, belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcellus and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large reservoirs and of an ancient theatre. New excavations are currently under way on the site of the former Campo Sportivo.