Chieti is a city and comune in Central Italy, 200 kilometres (124 miles) northeast of Rome. It is the capital of the province of Chieti in the Abruzzo region. Chieti lies on a crest along the Pescara River a few kilometres away from the Adriatic Sea, and with the Maiella and Gran Sasso mountains in the background. The city is composed by two nucleus: Chieti “Alta” (high) and Chieti “Scalo” (low). Chieti Alta is more ancient and is situated on the hill. Chieti Scalo is the new part and it is inhabited by the students that frequent the University.Chieti climate is Mediterranean. It presents high humidity all year round, with rainy/snowy and quite cold winters and hot and dry summers. Usually, in October, there are more or less 20° during the day. We suggest you to bring at least a jacket.
The Univesity “G. D’Annunzio” was founded in 1965 as Free University and it became a state university in 1982. The University is constituted by 2 University Campus, one in Pescara and one in Chieti, as well as the Telematic University Leonardo da Vinci.
The University Campus of Chieti, is an "American style" Campus, located on a green field and full of facilities and services used by both the academic community and the town inhabitants.
G. d’Annunzio University aims to a highly qualified and diversified didactic offer that also contemplates telematic degree courses, including opportunities to use leasure time on recreational activities such as sports and cultural activities.
G. D’Annunzio University has always offered to the students all necessary activities that allow them to enrich their own knowledge, confronting themselves with current topical subjects and to cultivate new interests, in the conviction that the excellence necessarily has to base itself both on the academic profile and on the profile which is cultural, ethical and has personal values.
Through the research, both basic and applied, which has its strength in medical field of the two Centres of Excellence: Ce.S.I. (Sciences of the Aging Centre) and I.T.A.B.
(Institute of Advanced Biomedical Technologies). D’Annunzio University offers its contribution to the progress of learning and knowledge.
For postgraduate experience the d’Annunzio University has established the “Superior School”, with the intent to open up to modernity as an act of faith in the progress and in its close relation with the advancement of knowledge, always in a dialogue with the external world, in continuous evolution.
"G. d’Annunzio" University in 1986, has instituted the Academic Honour called "Order of Mìnerva."
The recognition is conferred to national and international personalities that have meaningfully contributed to the progress of Science, Culture and Economy.
The incomings can frequent two hospital: the first one, “SS. Annunziata”, in Chieti Scalo and the second one, “Ospedale Civile”, in Pescara. The available departments are not located in the same Hospital. The students, frequenting in Pescara, have to move by bus each day (about 30 minutes) from the Dormitory that is located in Chieti Scalo.
The Research Projects available for Exchange Students are:
- Spectral karyotype (SKY) in acute myeloid leukemia: the lab is located in Pescara’s Hospital, this is a Project of Basic Science.
- Clinical approach to endocrinological diseases in pediatrics: Clinical project without lab work in Chieti. The project is reserved to students attending last two years of the course of studies. A particular interest in pediatrics is required and a previous clinical experience in another department suggested.
- Influence Of Hormone Replacement Therapy On Oxidative Stress In Children With Ghd (growth hormone deficiency): Clinical project with lab work, in Chieti. Phisiology and Endocrinology courses and Basic knowledgement about Lab techiniques are required.
- Electrostimulation, Muscle Disuse And Oxidative Stress As Determinants Od Age Dependent Changes In Regenerative Properties Of Muscle Satellite Cells: usual knowelage of basic medicine programs are required. The project is reserved to students with at least 1-2 years of medicine courses. The role of the student will be: assistant during the experimental procedure, analysis of the data, discussion,use of electro-stimulators and EEM (Excitation - emission matrix) procedures and surgical procedures to obtain muscle biopsies.
- Effect of plasma from obese and insulin resistant (IR) children on endothelial nitric oxide (NO) bioavailability and endothelial Reticulum (ER)-stress: Good basis of scientific knowledge minimum experience in laboratory practice high attitude for team work are required. The lab is located in the Ce.S.I., in Chieti’s Campus.
Furthermore it is necessary to sign the Rule of the Dormitory, which includes 50€ of deposit for guarantee in case of damages. The day of your check-out you will have back the 50€ and the IFMSA Certificate (IF you have completed at least the 75% of the month in the department).
The Dormitory is very near to the Hospital in Chieti Scalo. Nearby there are a Supermarket, Parapharmacy, Bar, Pizzeria, Hairdresser, Laudry and Tabacchi.
About how to arrive in Chieti:
1. Pescara Airport http://www.abruzzoairport.com/default.aspx?lang=en
2. from Fiumicino (Rome Airport): you could take the train from ROMA FIUMICINO to ROMA TIBURTINA, and then reach Chieti by bus, or take the bus to Chieti directly from the airport:
· train site: http://www.trenitalia.com/
· bus site: http://www.arpaonline.it/?page=or_peroma (from Roma Tiburtina Station);
· bus site: http://www.prontobusitalia.it/index.php?lang=it (from the Airport to Chieti)
About local transports: We recommend you to buy a monthly ticket, especially for who of you will frequent the hospital in Pescara. It costs 30 euro and is valid for Chieti and Pescara too. There is no control at the entrance, however controllers or driver can ask for tickets any time. Try to avoid fines with keeping your ticket all the time with you. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO USE THE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION WITHOUT VALID TICKET/SEASON TICKET!
National Archaeological Museum of the Abruzzi "Villa Frigerii" - The rooms of the museum are dedicated to: Burial cults in pre-Roman Abruzzo / Italic sculpture / The Capestrano Warrior / The Pansa collection / The Sanctuary of Hercules Curinus at Sulmona / The Numismatic collection / Roman Iconography in Abruzzo.Art Museum "Costantino Barbella"Biomedical Science Museum (Paleopathology and Bioarchaeology)Archaeological Museum "La Civitella"Diocesan Theatine MuseumArt Museum "Palazzo de Mayo"
The Gothic Cathedral, re-built by bishop Attone I in 1069. Of that building only parts of the Romanesque crypt remain. The church was remade in the 14th century when also the bell tower was enlarged. After several earthquakes, the church was rebuilt again in the late 17th-18th centuries in Baroque style.Oratory of Sacro Monte dei MortiChurch of San Francesco al Corso, founded in 1239. The façade shows an incomplete Baroque restoration.Church of Santa Chiara.Under the church of SS. Pietro e Paolo and the adjoining houses are extensive substructures (in opus reticulatum and brickwork) of the 1st century CE, belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcellus and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large reservoirs and of an ancient theatre. New excavations are currently under way on the site of the former Campo Sportivo.