Clermont-Ferrand is located right in the center of France in a former volcanic region, Le Massif Central. The city is surrounded by the largest chain of volcanoes in Europe called La Chaine des Puys, where stands proud the highest of all, the Puy de Dôme. Fun fact, Clermont Ferrand is actually built right where a swamp used to be. Hopefully for the population, those volcanoes have been dormant for thousands of years!
Although the weather in Clermont-Ferrand is becoming quite unpredictable lately, snow is pretty much certain in winter and hot summers are usual (at least 2 000 hours of sunshine every year (more than Paris;) ). Like everywhere, it sometimes rain ... but exclusively to offer you a beautiful rainbow above the volcanoes.
A little background about Clermont : In 52 BC, in Gaul, took place The Battle of Gergovia in Gercovia (nowadays called Clermont Ferrand). The battle opposed the Roman Republican Army led by Julius Caesar to Gallic forces led by Vercingetorix. Of course, the Gauls won the battle ! Vercingetorix is a local hero and has a statue in his honor in the biggest square of Clermont Ferrand, la Place de Jaude.
As far as living conditions are concerned, Clermont Fd is considered as one of the best cities in Fance to live and to study ! And for several reasons !
First, the city welcomes every year around 38 000 students, ie almost 25% of its population, giving a really dynamic atmosphere to the city. Wherever you go in the city, you will come accross students ! The city is well adapted to student lifestyle, you can find everything in the center of Clermont : bars, restaurants, movie theaters, shopping malls, museums, parks... Well everything you might want to do !
Concerning public transportation, Clermont Ferrand is well equiped with lots of buses and a tram (sort of overground subway). Also, there are lots of bike paths.
Bref (as the french says), Clermont is the best city to have you during your SCOPE exchange ! With the nature at arm's reach, a clean breathable air and so many things to discover !
As practical fields for students, there are two university hospitals:
- CHU Gabriel Montpied : near the School of Medicine
- CHU Estaing : a brand new hospital near the train station
Both of these establishments are well served by bus and tramway networks.
Like anywhere else in France, a good English level is required but we also highly recommend a good French level (some doctors don't speak English at all).
HUMAN NUTRITION RESEARCH UNIT (UNH)
- Diet and Musculoskeletal Health (ASMS)
- Diet, Plant food bioactives & Vascular Health (NutriVasc)
- Protein Metabolism, Aging and Nutrition (IMPROVING)
- Micro-Environnement CellulaiRe, Immunomodulation et Nutrition (ECREIN)
- Metabolism and Mass Spectrometry (PFEM)
- Animal Facilities (IEN)
- Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology of Pain (ND1)
- Trigeminal neuralgia and Migraine (ND2)
- Neurosensorial Biophysics (ND3)
GENETIC REPRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT (GReD)
GENOME DYNAMICS AND EPIGENETIC CONTROL
- Genomic Imprinting and the epigenetic control of cell fate determination (Team 1)
- SiLENT: Silencing, Environment and Transposons (Team 2)
- Histone variants and the nuclear envelope in heterochromatin organization (Team 3)
- Genetic instabilities and control by the host genome (Team 4)
- Recombination and maintenance of genome integrity (Team 5)
- Epigenetic regulation and hematopoiesis (Team 14)
REPRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT IN HEALTH AND DISEASE
- Molecular mechanisms of cell lineage differentiation in the early mouse embryon (Team 6)
- MECHANISMS OF MAMMALIAN POST-TESTICULAR INFERTILITY (Team 7)
- Diversification of muscle and heart cells in normal and pathological conditions (Team 8)
- Epithelial growth and Morphogenesis (Team 9)
- Transliational approach to epithelial injury and repair (Team 10)
ENDOCRINOLOGY, SIGNALLING AND CANCER
- NuReP : Nuclear Receptors and Prostate diseases (Team 11)
- Molecular Pathophysiology of Adrenal & Endocrine Tissues (Team 12)
- Environment, Spermatogenesis, Pathophysiology and Inheritance (Team 13)
MOLECULAR IMAGING AND THERANOSTICS STRATEGIES (IMoST)
- Targets and tools for imaging and therapy
- Translational research in functional imaging, radiopharmaceuticals and theranostic biomarkers
- Process Engineering, Energy and Biosystems (GePEB)
- Image, Perception Systems, Robotics (ISPR)
- Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering (M3G)
- Photonics, Waves, Nanomaterials (PHOTON)
- Image Guided Therapies (TGI)
LABORATORY MICROORGANISMS: GENOME AND ENVIRONMENT (LMGE)
- Hosts-Parasites Interactions (IHP)
- Microbial Community: Ecotoxicology - Health (CMES)
- Environmental Genomic and Bioinformatics (MEB)
- Microbial Biodiversity and Functional Adaptations (BioADAPT)
- Interactions in Aquatic Food Web (RTA)
- Epidemiology and Physiopathology of Enterovirus Diseases (EPIE)
MICROBES INTESTINE INFLAMMATION AND HOST’S SUSCEPTIBILITY (M2ISH)
MICROBIOLOGY DIGESTIVE ENVIRONMENT HEALTH (MEDIS)
- Bacterial Adaptation to Digestive and Alimentary environments (BaDiAl)
- Intestinal Microbiota: Functions and impacts on nutrition and host’s health (Minhos)
ROLE OF INTRA-CLONAL HETEROGENEITY AND LEUKEMIC ENVIRONMENT IN THERAPY RESISTANCE OF CHRONIC LEUKEMIAS (CHELTER)
NEURO-PSYCHO-PHARMACOLOGY OF SUB-CORTICAL DOPAMINERGIC SYSTEMS (NPsy-Sydo)
SELF-MEDICATION PHARMACEUTICAL CONCILIATION PATIENT (ACCePPT)
SCOPE/SCORE students are given a lunch card which allows them to eat for free at the hospital everyday for lunch ! In addition to that, each student receives 50 euros of pocket money to pay for food and transportation.
Once in Clermont, SCOPE/SCORE students are set to live with a medical student in his/her flat or in the student's family. The deal is quite simple : a french medical student who decide to take part in a SCOPE/SCORE program agrees to lend or share his flat with a foreign student.
Of course, a local committe guarantees the good state of the flat before arrival. No nasty surprises!
The tramway and the bus network are really practical and prevent the use of a car within the city. In some parts of the city (city center) you'll find cycle lanes. Also, there are free bikes to cycle 30 min.
Clermont Ferrand is also well served by trains. It takes 3hours and 30 minutes to go to Paris, 2hours to go to Lyon.
There is also an airport with a few flights going to other european cities like Porto, Lisboa, Amsterdam or London.
- Cute cities close by like Vichy, Moulins, Saint-Nectaire ...