Welcome to France’s most attractive town! Besançon, an innovative, audacious, inclusive place for as long as anyone can remember, offers many, many advantages. Accessible, natural, dynamic, vivacious, welcoming, young, artistic, busy, sporting, sustainable—the town addresses all the wants and needs of an active, enterprising population.
Once proclaimed first green city of France, it has been labeled a "Town of Art and History" since 1986.
In 2008, Besançon's Vauban citadel was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and still is to this day.
5 reasons to chose Besancon for your SCOPE Exchange in France :
1. Easy access : 3 hour train ride from Paris, 1 hour train ride from Lausane ( Swiss), Dijon, Lyon...
2. Breathtaking green space : if you like the outdoors and love a good walk or trail, Besancon's endless mounts surrounded by the river Doubs offer an authentic french countryside/ medium city experience
3. Young : with 30 000 students studying in Besancon, you are sure to be included in lots of activities with local students that make up an awesome nightlife to enjoy
4. Heritage : with over 200 historical monuments, the ancient charm of the city with typical french stones and architecture will offer you post card views at the doorstep of your hosts apartment and on your way to the Hospital
5. Hospital and student welcome : our welcome comittee will do its best to offer you the smoothest arrival and stay here in Besancon. Our medium size hospital, being home to a good number of renowned french practitionners, is a comfortable and securing environment to show your curiosity and skills.
Once during your training days at the hospital.
Besancon is famous for its food culture with all over the world renowned cheese and charcuterie which is quite affordable in this student majority town.
Besançon is well connected with the rest of France by train and bus (flixbus). One can reach major destinations such as Paris, Dijon, Belfort, Mulhouse, Strasbourg, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier and Lille directly. The city has some international connections to cities such as Basel and Zürich in Switzerland and Frankfurt am Main in Germany.
A tramway commenced service in September 2014. Buses also link many cites in our town and will always get you to the university or hospital for your internship !
The city has one of the most beautiful historic centers of any major town in France.
Among the most visited historic monuments are: