Hospital Clinic of Barcelona
We are a university hospital founded in 1906 that belongs to the Catalan Public Hospital Network (XHUP).We include almost all medical and surgical specialities, and are active in the areas of Patient Care, Research and Education, either directly or through related companies.
The hospital serves as a community hospital, and is the main public provider within its district in Barcelona, with a population of 540,000 inhabitants. It also serves as a high-complexity tertiary hospital, developing lines of actions for patients, not only in Catalonia but also in Spain and worldwide. The hospital offers services at several locations, with Maternity as one of its sites.
The hospital has a long-standing tradition of research, and is recognised as a institution of reference, both domestically and internationally.
The Hospital Clínic performs teaching activities at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including the training of medical interns and the continuing professional development of personnel.
Hospital Clinic is a very nice hospital located in the city center and it is considered one of the best hospitals in Spain. All the departments have the highest technological equipment and highly qualified doctors who are used to deal with students. The Univerity is situated just next to it, so you can use its facilities such as the library, the canteen… The hospital is really well communicated: just in front of it there is a metro station called “Hospital Clinic” (Blue line - L5) and several bus lines (there is also a bus line during nights). You can find a lot of shops and restaurants in that area. Its convinient location will enable you to visit some Barcelona’s “must-see” options from there.
In Hospital Clínic there are a lot of research projects available:
- Clinical determinants of neointima thickness after stent implantation evaluated by optical coherence tomography.
- Regulation of the phosphatase striatal enriched tyrosine phosphatase (STEP) by Protein Kinase C.
- Analysis of the immunomodulatory properties of scavenger-like lymphocyte receptors.
- Dynamic quantitative sensory testing in healthys subjects and patients with reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
- Modulation of mast cell responses by members of CD150 and CD300 family of receptors and associated molecules. New targets in mast cell-derived pathologies.
The boarding will be 1 per day, included in the pocket money, at the cost of the hosting association.
You can be lodging in a residence, in a student flat or with a host family. It depens on the month you'll come.
You can use the extenisve network of public transportation: buses, underground, tram, trains. [http://www.tmb.cat/en/home].
In Barcelona, it is highly recommended to purchase a monthly card, that will allow you to take as many buses and undergrounds as you want during that month (cost: 54€). If you do not need to use public transport very often you can buy a “T-10” which costs 9,95€ and includes 10 rides. Please be aware that these are the prices if you travel around “zone 1” (which includes most of Barcelona neighbourhoods). If you desire to go further, the 1 zone card is not valid. You can check the different zones in the following website: [http://www.tmb.cat/en/mapa-de-zones]
Taxis are also available in the city, but it is always a more expensive option. The prices depend on the route but the average is about 7-8€
If you desire to visit other cities in Catalonia, taking a train is a good option. In the following website you’ll finde more information: [http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html].
Visiting Montserrat Mountains is one of the favourite excursions of our incoming students. In this case, you’ll need to take a train but from another company which is: [http://www.fgc.cat/eng/index.asp]
There are more than a thousand ways to fall in love with Barcelona! You should come and discover how them can let you speechless...! Live the experience, don’t let anybody live it for you! Anyway, we tell you a few places you can’t miss if you decide to choose our city:
- Plenty of art: modernism is an artistic movement linked with Barcelona. You should have heard about Antoni Gaudí i Cornet. The Sagrada Familia’s church, modernist Park Guell and the Pedrera are some of his big treasure here, a legacy for all of our eyes.
- Take a walk: Las Ramblas’ street is one of the “must see” places. You can go easily through it where you can take a look to all of the stands and traditional street artists of Las Ramblas. Don’t forget to visit El Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria or just La Boqueria to prove your taste with local food, and the Plaça Reial where you can go for a drink.
- Music, music and more music: if you enjoy listening to music, El Palau de la Música Catalana is where all type of music collides. There’s a great acoustic and renowned music professionals.
- The Historic Quarter: El Gòtic, Barcelona’s and Santa María del Mar’s cathedral. It’s the medieval city, the oldest part of Barcelona. There you can find plenty of museums, squares, markets and feel the streets as native people.
- Outdoors: we recommend Barceloneta’s promenade to ride a bike or skate with beautiful sea views (almost 2 km), but if you prefer the mountains, Montjuïc is a hill full of outdoor activities, sculptures, parks (Jardí Botànic de Barcelona), fountains (Font Màgica de Montjuïc) and on its top there’s the Montjuïc castle.
These are just few “must see” places where you can enjoy Barcelona, but in case you need more, here are some links with more information about other interesting places.
Points of interest: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/es/page/12/zonas-de-interes.html
Itineraries per day: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/es/page/2/itinerarios-por-dias.html
Barcelona is one of the most important cities in the world so you can find everything you need. And you can do all kind of activities.
Moreover, it’s really well connected with other cities around so you can visit the most beautiful places with good prices not only in Barcelona but also in Catalonia and Spain.
The people are really friendly and we are sure that you won’t have any problem if you don’t speak Spanish.
Don’t hesitate to come to Catalonia. It’s unique and we are sure it’ll be one of the best experiences of your life.