Hello and Welcome to Varna!
So you have chosen to do your exchange at our university and you'll soon be arriving at our friendly seaside city where the language is strange, the alphabet is stranger, and you don't know a single person! Don't worry, we are here for you!
The Medical University of Varna is a high-tech university and has more than half a century of history and traditions. The classical models of teaching at the university are well combined with the latest technologies – 3D anatomy training and a system for complementary e-learning rich in electronic content.
The Medical University of Varna offers uncompromised quality of training and it is the first and the only university in Bulgaria which introduced the model of the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM ®) for Business Excellence in 2008. The diplomas issued by the University are recognized in all European countries. The preferred University for students from 44 countries all over the world has 82 international partners from 5 continents. Over 50 000 alumni of the Medical University of Varna have lived and worked in more than 40 countries around the world since 1961.
The university offers to its students modern environment with unlimited opportunities for their development – high-tech labs and training premises, a library with electronic reading rooms and access to the best world information databases, modern sport facilities and professional football, volleyball and tennis coaches, a rehearsal hall for the university rock band, a drama and folk dance troupes.
University Multi-profile Hospital for Active Treatment St. Marina, Varna is the largest medical-diagnostic and consultative university hospital complex with patients from all over the country, mainly from North and East Bulgaria - Varna, Shumen, Razgrad, Targovishte, Ruse, Dobrich, Silistra and Bourgas regions.
The complex has 930 beds, modern equipment and high qualified staff - academics, national and regional consultants. The hospital has at its disposal modern facilities, hospital service, internal communications, quality of patient care, diagnostic and therapeutic approach, modern equipment and highly specialized equipment.
Our Academic Clinical Research Organization (ACRO) is the first academic research organization (ARO) in Bulgaria, which is administratively based in Varna. It functions in collaboration with other key research centers in the Balkan region. We are in joint venture with the largest clinical facility "Sveta Marina" University Hospital.
Medical University of Varna has at its disposal the following laboratories and centers:
- Laboratory of Clinical Immunology
- Central Clinical Laboratory
- Laboratory of Microbiology and Virology
- Laboratory of Medical Genetics
- Laboratory for Transplantation and Translational Medicine
- Center for Translational Medicine and Cell Therapy
- Center for Rare Diseases
- Oncology and Radiotherapeutic Center
- Laboratory of nutrigenomics, functional foodstuffs and nutraceuticals
The hospital canteen and the canteen in the dorm are excellent options for getting something to eat. A normal meal costs about 2 euros. We provide pocket money which are enough for at least one meal per day.
Restaurants and cafes in Varna are not expensive so you get eat outside as well.
Medical University of Varna has at its disposal two students’ hostels - “Block 35”and “Block 3”.
Block 35 of Varna Medical University is located at 35 “Petar Raichev” St., close to the University Hospital “St. Marina”. The hostel has 17 floors and has recently been fully renovated. There are two- and three-bed rooms, each having its own sanitation, a tv set and internet connection. There is a kitchen on every floor equipped with a microwave oven, stove and a sink to suit the lodgers’ needs.
Taxi rates in Varna are extremely cheap by western standards. The fare from the airport to the city center should be 15leva maximum (7-8 euros).
You can also take the bus if you'd like.
- The oldest golden treasure in the world, dating from 4,600 BCE to 4,200 BCE, was discovered in Varna.
- The Dormition of the Mother of God Cathedral is the largest and most famous Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral in the Bulgarian Black Sea port city of Varna, and the second largest in Bulgaria (after cathedral Alexander Nevski in Sofia).
- Aladzha Monastery is a medieval Orthodox Christian cave monastery complex in northeastern Bulgaria, 17 km north of central Varna.
- Cape Kaliakra is one of the most beautiful and historic Capes in Europe. Kaliakra is a nature reserve, where dolphins and cormorants can be observed.