Teresina is located in Central-north of Piauí and is far 366 km from the seacoast, therefore the only capital in the Northeast that is not located on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. It is conurbade with Timon - MA, and cluster together more than 1 million inhabitants, and the whole metropolitan area of Greater Teresina crowd about 1,190,000 inhabitants, forming the second most populous RIDE (integrated development region) of all Brazil. Teresina is the 21st biggest city in Brazil and the 16th biggest state capital, is now one of the fastest growing cities in all sectors in Brazil. Teresina is the third capital with better quality of North-Northeast of life according to the FIRJAN Index of Municipal Development, and according to IPEA (Institute of Applied Economic Research) is the third safest capital of Brazil. The city has a high HDI (Human Development Index), however, is still the eighth between the capitals of the Northeast. Teresina is also the third city where else happen sequences of electrical discharges in the world. For this reason, the region receives the curious name of "Chapada do Corisco". Their motto is the phrase "Omnia in charitate" which means, in English, "All for charity." Historically,
Teresina developed through the Parnaíba River, through IWT. Teresina is known for Green City by virtue of having streets and avenues interspersed of trees. The city has semiúmido tropical climate with two seasons characteristics: the rainy season (occurring in summer and autumn) and the dry season (which occurs in winter and spring).
About its Health, Capital of Piauí has a complete network of delivery of health services, consisting of several hospitals, clinics, polyclinics, mixed units, centers and health posts, belonging to the State, the municipality and the private sector, making it the capital of Piauí one important center for medical care in various specializations. For its features, combined with its geographical location, to Teresina moving people from several states of North and Northeast in search of health services, reaching to represent 40% of medical care in public hospitals in the capital. Because of good location, Teresina has become the Northeast Medical Center.
The UNINOVAFAPI University Center is a Higher Education Institution originated (HEI's) from the Faculty of Health, Social Sciences and Technology of Piauí - NOVAFAPI. Consolidating its initial planning and also due to the high quality standard of courses previously implemented ,in July 9, 2004 the company obtained permission to Course of Medicine offer , deploying the first class in August 2004. The Degree Course in Medicine of UNINOVAFAPI proposes the preparation of medical doctor with general, humane, ethical, critical and reflective. Able to work, based on ethical principles and process of health and illness at different levels of care, with promotion, prevention, recovery and rehabilitation, from the perspective of integrality of care, with a sense of social responsibility and commitment to citizenship, as comprehensive health promoter of the human being.
São Marcos Hospital is the biggest private hospital of Piauí, being regional reference in the treatment of Cancer. Besides the Oncology department, it works with over 50 specialities of Health Area, located at the Health Center of Teresina.
The HU (University Hospital) located in UFPI (Federal University of Piauí) was inaugurated on 09 November 2012. The organization works for the high and medium complexity care and also for research and extension for health courses UFPI .The proposal of University Hospital is to be a reference center in assistance in the performance of medium and high complexity procedures, joining teaching, research and practice to curious in medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, nutrition, physical education, physical therapy, among others. The hospital has 201 beds ward, 15 ICU beds for adults, 06 ICU beds infant, 08 beds coronary ICU, 10 operating rooms, 03 rooms for minor surgery, 03 rooms for ondotologic surgeries, 19 pathological rooms, plus 53 offices focused on the provision of medical services.
Nathan Portella Institute was opened in 1972. The prime location allows studies in two ecosystems of the semi-arid and Amazon. The center receives patients from throughout the Northeast as well as states of the North. The Ministry of Health puts the Institute of Tropical Diseases Natan Portella among the best in tropical medicine in the North and Northeast regions. Are 145 beds, the second largest in Brazil, in ability to care for patients with infectious diseases. New spaces were organized for the development of research. In addition to the expansion of outpatient and emergency room.
The host student or family will provide at least one meal per day / the hospital will provide it.
The Typical Food of Piauí are very characteristic:
Maria Isabel: Rise, Beaf and Local Spices
Shredded Carne-de-sol and Cassava Flour
If you'd like to see more typical foods of Piauí, see:http://www.turismo.pi.gov.br/pt-br/cultura/pratos-tipicos-do-piaui , In portuguese, english and spanish.
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
Teresina is a city that besides its neighborhood, is divided in Zones that make you get a sense where you are in the city.
Map of Zones and main Neighborhoods of Teresina
Arrival in Teresina:
Teresina doesn´t have an International Airport, then you'll arrive at Brazil through the biggest cities (as São Paulo, Brasília, etc.). After you catch the flight to Teresina. OBS.: Buy the ticket "YOUR CITY" TO TERESINA ( to avoid trouble at the ticket purchase here).
CITIES ( FLIGHTS UNSCALES): FLIGHT TIME: AVIATION COMPANIES:
SÃO PAULO 3h 10min AZUL, GOL e TAM
BRASÍLIA 2h 30min GOL e TAM
RECIFE 1h 45min AZUL
FORTALEZA 1h 05min AZUL, TAM e GOL
When you get Teresina, You should get in touch with your contact person, informating arrival time. Someone will most likely catch you at Airport or else there is an airport taxi company (COTAERO) that will leave you at the place you'll stay here. It doesn't cost much ( it depends on where you'll stay). Attention/Caution: Payment only in REAL.
TAXI COMPANIES (ONLY IN PORTUGUESE):
TELETAXI: PHONE: (86) 3222-3030
TARIFF: R$ 3,75 (till 2017)
TERESINA's PUBLIC BUS works in the INTEGRATION SYSTEM (system in which if you want to go to city other zone and if you go down from the first bus in a green bus station and the second bus will take you in another zone, the second one is FREE), but to this system works, you must have a "bus card" (the first one cost about R$7,00), it is bought at SETUT (company responsable for Public Bus Routes).
Train route is only one and connect the city downtown to the one of the most distant neighborhood ( Dirceu - Southeast Zone).
- Parque Potycabana. Potycabana Park is Teresina’s jogging place, situated in front of Teresina Shopping.
- Parque da Cidadania.
- Mercado Troca-Troca ("barter"). This a place to exchange your kitchen sink for an old bicycle rather than buy a memento of Brazil. The market started under the vast fig tree that now stands behind the permanent roofing, on the banks of the River Parnaíba. It is fun for those who like a good rummage; the more refined may wish to give it a miss.
- Catedral de Nossa Senhora do Amparo
- Museu Histórico do Piauí. This state museum is divided into a series of exhibition rooms devoted to the history of the state; religious art; popular art; archaeology; fauna, flora and minerals; and an eclectic assortment of antique radios, projectors and other ancient wonders. Hidden in the corner of one room is a pathetic cabinet containing a flag, kerchief and some scribbled notes from comunistas, a flexible term used here to describe a group of independent thinkers, who were wiped out by the government in 1937. Admission is free, and the museum is open Tuesday to Friday from 8 to 11AM and 3 to 6PM, and on Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to noon.
- Palácio de Karnak. This Greco-Roman structure once functioned as the governor's residence and contained valuable works of art and antiques. In the late '80s, the outgoing governor made a quick exit, together with many of the valuable contents.
- Parque Zoobotânico do Piauí, Rodovia PI 112, KM 5. The botanical park is on the road going north from Teresina towards União. The zoo part of the park is fifty years behind the West with bored unhappy animals (including a blind lion) in cages and insects on pins. Happily the armadillos (tatu) are not in cages and are free to wander around the park with the visitors. Don’t swim in the lake – it is full of caimans (jacaré). The main attraction of the park is the collection of local flora.
- Parque Lagoas do Norte
- Encontro do Rios
- Complexo Turístico Ponte Estaiada
IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT TERESINA OR PIAUÍ, ALL INFORMATIONS YOU NEED, YOU'LL FIND AT: http://www.turismo.pi.gov.br/pt-br (IN ENGLISH, PORTUGUESE AND SPANISH).
Bring your own white coat and stethoscope. You have to respect Brazil's norm NR 32: do not use accessories, wear closed shoes and tie your hair.
Be welcome to Teresina!
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/IFMSAUNINOVAFAPI?fref=ts
Instagram - @ifmsabrazil_uninovafapi