Santos is a municipality in the São Paulo state of Brazil, founded in 1546 by the Portuguese nobleman Brás Cubas. It is partially located on the island of São Vicente, which harbors both the city of Santos and the city of São Vicente, and partially on the mainland. It is the main city in the metropolitan region of Baixada Santista. The population is 433,966 (2015 est.) in an area of 280.67 km². The city is also home to the Coffee Museum, where coffee prices were once negotiated. There is also a football memorial, dedicated to the city's greatest players, which includes Pelé, who played for Santos Futebol Clube. Its beachfront garden, 5,335 m (5,834 yd) in length, figures in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest beachfront garden in the world.
The course of Medicine Lusíada University Center is recognized nationally for the quality of education. Promote the general medical training in order to act as a competent professional in their technical and scientific tasks and as co-responsible for comprehensive health care of the population, demonstrating a sense of social responsibility and commitment to citizenship.
The UNILUS Medicine course aims to train professionals with overview and humanistic, through an interdisciplinary practice at different levels, enabling them mainly in the basic areas: Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Public Health and Health Family. This training will take place from acting situations in different health care settings - Primary, through its integration with Basic Health Units from the first year of the course and progressing to Secondary and Tertiary care in boarding school. We intend also to take the epidemiological point of the region and integrate the student with the social realities that can live seasonally.
The institution has agreements with the State Hospital Guilherme Alvaro, Hospital Ana Costa, Infectology Hospital Emilio Ribas, Hospital San Jose - San Vicente, Municipal Hospital of São Vicente - CREI, Portuguese Beneficent Society of Santos, City of Santos - UBS and UPA, Municipality of São Vicente and the City of Bertioga.
There are no research exchange available yet.
The host student or family will provide at least one meal per day.
Our local meal consists in bread and coffee with wilk in the morning, and lunch and dinner with rice, red beans, some kind of meat (beef, eggs, chicken, pork or fish), vegetables and salad. Also, there are lots of italian, german, french and japanese culinary references.
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
A good way to move around to not-so-close places. They are not very expensive and drivers are mostly friendly.
Buses are a cheap and nice way to get around by day. The fare is payed either with tickets, which can be bought in most bus stops, or in cash to the driver, or conductor by passing by turnstile. Some bus stops have time tables and a map where the buses are heading to. However, the LED-displays of the buses are also good indicators on the direction. Use small change.
Bicycles are by far the best way to move around the town, and since 2012 its possible to take one for free (bike-sharing). There are many "stations" of bicycle over all the city, especially on the beachfront. The system requires a register with credit card (ten reais as security deposit) at the websitehttp://www.bikesantos.com/. Travel up to 30 minutes and with 15 minutes of break are free.
By streetcar (tramway)
There are a couple tourist routes with early XX century streetcars downtown.
- By air - Arriving the airports in Sao Paulo (Congonhas / CGH) or (Guarulhos / GRU), packtours can arrange convenient TAXI service to Santos, it may take slightly more than one hour to go. There are also about 8 bus service a day from Guarulhos.
- By bus - Take a taxi or the subway to Jabaquara Bus Station. There you can take a bus directly to Santos. Estimated travel time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Buses leave every 15 minutes 24 hours a day. Bus companies are e.g. Cometa (http://www.viacaocometa.com.br/pt/), Expresso Luxo (http://www.expressoluxo.com.br/), or Ultra (http://www.viacaoultra.com.br/). You can check timetables, prices (app. 21 R$, Oct. 2014) and book online, More information: 011 50113421. The bus stops at the Terminal Rodoviario De Santos and them some go on to São Vicente (Santos' twin city), some to Gonzaga (beach) and some to Ponta da Praia (on the channel, handy for taking a boat on to Guarujá). You can get off at many other stops on the bus way on, but only if you do not have luggage in the luggage trunk of the bus (it is possible to request your luggage is removed from the luggage trunk and placed inside the bus at the Santos Terminal in order to get off at a later minor stop with luggage). Terminal Rodoviario De Santos is directly in the center, however, the beach is far away (app. 5km).
- Beach front garden. The longest beach front garden in the world according to the Guinness with 5335 meters long. Just go to the beach and you will find it.
- Aquarium. Av. Bartolomeu de Gusmão, Ponta da Praia, Phone: 3236-9996. The first public aquarium in Brazil featuring hundreds of sea creatures of the Brazilian seas. Tue to Sat, 9:00 to 18:00. R$ 5,00, students pay R$ 2,50 and free for children under 12.
- Church of Embare. Av. Bartolomeu de Gusmão, 32, Phone: 3227-5977. Gothic church built in 1946. Everyday from 8:00 to 20:00. No admission fee.
- Orchid Garden plus Zoobotanic garden at Praça Washington Luis at the end of Avenida General Francisco Glicério, 200 metres from beach and 300 metres from São Vicente border. Small entrance fee. Several green houses full of orchids. Small local animals loose in the garden: turtles, pacas. Walk in fenced garden with loose large birds: tucanos, macaws.
- Benedicto Calixto Art Collecion at Bartolomeu de Gusmão Avenue, 15 (near a touristic guide place) is a beautiful mansion house with a permanent exhibition of paintings by Benedicto Calixto and an art library. Worth visiting the beautiful indoor garden.
Bring your own white coat and stethoscope. You have to respect Brazil's norm NR 32: do not use accessories, wear closed shoes and tie your hair.
Be welcome to Santos!!