Is a city located in the north of the state of Paraná, South Region, Brazil, and is 369 km away from the capital, Curitiba. Londrina was originally explored by British settlers, and then officially established in 1930 by a small group of Japanese and German settlers. It rapidly became the commercial, political, and cultural centre of the state’s northern pioneer zone. In the 50’s and 60’s, London received an impressive economic development, especially for planting coffee. In 1961, the region accounted for about 51% of coffee produced in the world, and is then called "World’s Coffee Capital The farmer who owned large tracts of land, built houses and became known as the "Coffee Barons", and the coffee beans eras known as "Green Gold".
In 1975, severe frosting, called "Black Frost", which reached all the north of Paraná, ruined the coffee plantations. Some started working again with coffee, while others invested in other businesses. This natural phenomena caused Londrina to lose its rank as a major coffee producer, but developed a reasonable urban growth with industries, universities and service delivery.
The Universidade Estadual de Londrina (UEL) was established in 1970 with the addition of five Faculties. (Faculty of Law, founded in 1946; State College of Philosophy and Letter, founded in 1949; State College of Dentistry, established in 1952 and founded by the Dental Association of Paraná; Faculty of Medicine of Parana, founded in 1957 and Faculty of Economics and Accounting, founded in 1966). The initial project has added departments in the various disciplines of the faculty and courses offered at the time. The university started its activities with a total of 13 courses: History, Geography, Literature Anglo-Portuguese and Letters Franco-Portuguese, Education, Science (Grade 1), Law, Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Economics and Administration. To meet various space requirements for specific units, over time, physical structures were created outside the Campus.
- The University Hospital (HU- Hospital Universitario) has occupied the buildings of the old dispensary Noel Nutels located in the district Cervejaria (before, this place was a center of brewery) along with the health science center.
- CCS, Health Sciences Center, adjacent to the HU, there occur the capabilities of the student body of the health professions
- The university dental center - COU and the college application - CAPL are located in the city center, the space pioneer of founding the university
- EAAJ,office application of legal affairs: The university rented a building on the street Brazil to better serve low-income population.
The host student or family will provide at least one meal per day / the hospital will provide it.
Our local meal consists in bread and coffee with wilk in the morning, and lunch and dinner with rice, red beans, some kind of meat (beef, eggs, chicken, pork or fish), vegetables and salad. Also, there are lots of italian, german, french culinary references.
The incomings are alocate in students flat house, family houses or republic houses, where students share a house and create a family bound. They will have their own bed and will be provided with one bathroom that can be shared or not, and internet acess, on the house or on the college.
- Airport with daily flights to Curitiba, Sao Paulo, Campinas, and others.
- Good long distance bus connections.
City buses can be a challenge. They are more frequent during office hours, specially close to the University hours, so it's very likely that they will be crowded with students. Any other time, you'll probably wait very long for your bus, as sometimes they can take longer than an hour to come. Transporte Coletivo Grande Londrina (TCGL)'s website (http://www.tcgrandelondrina.com.br/) has bus lines and time tables, though it's not easy to find your way around it, either.
Taxis are frequent and to be found everywhere. However, Londrina's traffic sometimes won't help you, and you'll find red light after red light. Be prepared to pay R$ 15 to R$ 20 for short distances.
- Autódromo Internacional Ayrton Senna - Speedway which hosts several competitions throughout the year, the best known being the stage of the national circuit of Nextel Cup Stock CarBrasil Truck and Formula;
- Estádio do Café - Built in 1976, welcomes the most important football games, with capacity for more than 40 000 people, has hosted the pre-olympic;
- Cine Teatro Ouro Verde - was a cinema and theater located in the downtown area. On the afternoon of February 12, 2012 a major fire destroyed the building;
- Concha Acústica - Variation of modern traditional bandstand;
- Lago Igapó - Beautiful lake that permeates the city;
- Museu de Arte de Londrina - Exhibits various works of art
- Museu Histórico de Londrina - Museum which houses historical records about the colonization of the region;
- Parque Arthur Thomas - Urban Forest, a remnant of Atlantic forest, riddled with walking trails;
- Parque Ecológico Dr. Daisaku Ikeda – conservation unit created in 1999 in the area of Tree Bocas old plant;